by TEC Editors & Bloggers
Published at 2022-12-20
It’s the holiday season, and nothing gets party guests feeling as festive as a delicious cocktail! In this quick blog, we’ll share some great recipes for you to try.
First up, TEC blogger Michael shares two of his picks for seasonal cocktails, both using ingredients you might not have tried before: advocaat (an eggy Dutch liqueur) and Lillet (a wine-based aperitif).
“Despite Jack Torrance's appreciation of bourbon and advocaat in The Shining, I recommend a more tried and tested cocktail recipe like the Snowball. There are variations on this cocktail, but both options are similar, creating a kind of key-lime pie taste”:
1. Mix 1.5 ounces of advocaat (add more for a stronger drink) and a squeeze of lime juice together in a shaker half-filled with ice
2. Shake well
3. Strain into an old-fashioned glass almost filled with ice
4. Top with lemonade or, the variation, Sprite/7-Up
5. Stir well
1. Mix two ounces of Lillet Blanc and a 1/2 ounce of gin in a mixing glass half-filled with ice
2. Stir well
3. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
4. Garnish with a twist of lemon
For the more traditional among you, try out the classic glühwein recipe we posted in our 2015 holiday newsletter. This recipe was actually from former TEC editor Barbara’s grandmother’s 1918 cookbook:
1. In a covered pot, slowly bring 2 bottles of red wine to a boil with 1 ¼ cups of sugar, 6 cloves, and the zest of ½ a lemon or orange.
2. Immediately remove from heat and serve in glasses.
3. If desired, place an unpeeled orange slice in each glass.
4. Prost! (Cheers!)
For a literary twist, you could try one of these bookish recipes:
1 oz tequila
½ oz vodka
½ oz Southern Comfort
½ oz amaretto
½ oz sloe gin
¾ cup orange juice
1 ½ oz grenadine syrup
Mix well and serve over ice.
Makes…well, use your best judgement for how large a drink you’d like to serve to your guests!
A minty twist on a classic! You'll need:
1 oz Reposado tequila
½ oz green mint liqueur
½ oz lime juice
¼ oz simple syrup
1 sprig mint leaf
1. Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add all ingredients.
2. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
3. Garnish with mint leaf.
Makes 1 cocktail.
2 tsp grenadine (or a little more, if you like a sweeter drink)
50 ml tequila
1 tbsp triple sec
1 large orange, juiced
1/2 a lemon, juiced
1. Pour the grenadine into the base of a tall glass and set aside.
2. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the tequila, triple sec, and orange and lemon juices.
3. Shake until the outside of the shaker feels cold and has developed a frosty film.
4. Add a few ice cubes to the serving glass, then carefully strain the cocktail into it, trying not to disturb the grenadine layer.
5. Add more ice if needed to fill the glass, and garnish with a maraschino cherry or two.
Makes 1 cocktail.
From all of us at TEC, we wish you a happy holiday season and a joyful new year!